Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hello all.

Once again I'd like to establish that I stink at updating this blog. BUT, I have made a list of things to talk about and catch up on. So lets get to it.


So last weekend I went to my first English party. It was fancy dress, which means costume party. A group of us went over to my friend's house and got ready together. English girls get so much more dressed up for everything than we do at home. They would be horrified to go out into town without heels on. Like absolutely horrified. Its crazy. Anyways, for the party we were cave girls. I must say we looked pretty good. The party was at the Seacote Hotel, which is basically the only hotel in town. There was a DJ and a live band and a huge buffet. It was really nice. There was also a bar, but we all know I didn't touch it at all because I'm underage. Duh.Ok ok, so I had a couple of drinks, but I'd like to say I ended up taking care of my English friends at the end of the night so I had complete control over myself thank you very much.


After the party we went out to 'town', aka Whitehaven. It was kind of a surreal experience to just catch a cab and walk into the clubs like its a completely normal thing. Which I guess it kind of is normal here, but still. It was weird. But I had so much fun going out with my friends. I think I'm going to be sort of spoiled to that type of freedom when I come home, because you just can't go out to the clubs at home. At all. Oh well.


So there was my weekend. It doesn't sound very exciting in writing but it was actually a blast. I'm really glad I got the opportunity to go out with my friends and get away from school for a night.


But then it was back to reality. School on Monday was really entertaining because all anyone could talk about was the party. Literally, every time I walked up to my friends or overheard a conversation, it was about the party. That's all the crack anyone had. It was hilarious. It's such a small town that the party was enough to provide gossip for a few days.

I've had a couple of new developments as far as my extra-curricular activities go this week. First, I got elected as Company Secretary of Young Enterprise. Young Enterprise is basically a club where we create and manage our own business. It's not a mock situation, we actually develop, manufacture, and sell our own products and keep the profits. Its also a competition between schools to see who can develop the best business. Second, I got chosen for something called the Engineering Education Scheme. Basically there is a team of  6 of us and we work with an Engineering firm to solve a real life engineering problem. We get to go to Newcastle University to do practical experiments related to our problem and in the Spring we present our solutions to a panel of judges. I'm so excited to be involved and I can't wait to get started. We're going to the launch day on Monday so its starting soon! The last thing that I got involved in is the Cipher challenge. Basically I'm on a team of about 4 people and we solve a different cipher every week. Its also a competition but its less serious than the other two. I went from having absolutely no extra curricular activities to having almost more than I can handle. But I definitely think its a good thing to be involved while I'm here. I'm taking advantage of every opportunity possible.

On a completely unrelated note, I was sitting in class yesterday and I suddenly heard a faint noise, almost like a baby crying. After racking my brain trying to figure out what it was, I finally looked out the window and realized it was the sheep. There were sheep just chilling outside the window. Apparently I was the only one amazed at this because the rest of the students didn't even blink an eye. But, really, sheep? Just hanging out. So funny.

I was going to try to attach picture to this post but I couldn't get the photo uploader to work. So I'll try again next time. And I'm going to try to update more often. I know I say that every time but I really really mean it this time. Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment