Friday, September 3, 2010

I have arrived. Thank buddha.

The last 18 hours or so has been quite an adventure.
I got on my flight to Iceland, no problem. But I guess the fact that I was really leaving the country hit me as soon as we we're about to take off. Boy, it hit me hard. I cried for like 20 minutes. I'm sure the people next to me were a little freaked out. But I finally pulled myself together and settled in. I was starving when we got to the airport so I ordered a chocolate croissant. Holy crap it was soooo good. And it was still warm. Icelanders know how to make some pastries.
After my delicious breakfast I got on yet another plane, this time one that was actually going to England. It seemed like the longest flight of my life. Seriously. There were obnoxious couples all around me gabbing away in icelandic. It was quite annoying.
So, I finally arrive in Manchester and I get ready to go through customs. Blah blah blah, whatever, right? Nope. I am questioned because I don't have a letter proving my scholarship to the school. So here I am, travelled all this way, thinking I'm going to be denied entry to the country because I don't have one piece of paper. SERIOUSLY?! The lady that was 'helping' me was not very nice either. She finally let me in with a "make sure you have your documents next time".
After all this I have to get on a train to Carlisle to transfer to a train that will take me to St. Bees. In case you had forgetten, St. Bees is where I originally set out to go. The train rides went well. With the exception of a few stinky passengers and screaming kids. The views from the train were worth every minute of it. England is like every movie and picture you see- gorgeous. Especially the area I'm in. Its like a fairytale.
FINALLY, I get off the train at St. Bees and meet my host for the weekend. I immediately make a fool of myself by trying to get in on the wrong side of the car. But its all good. Their house is wonderful. They were nice (or crazy) enough to let me make an international call from their phone. They also took me to get some authentic fish and chips. OH MY GOODNESS. So good. Especially because I hadn't eaten since that morning in Iceland. I had tea following my dinner and now I have the house to myself.
Must sleep.
More pictures and descriptions to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment