Friday, September 17, 2010

Whats the crack?

You may be wondering why the title of this blog is "Whats the crack?". Well, I shall explain. The crack is Cumbrian slang for Whats up? or Whats the gossip?. Its actually quite funny to hear someone say it. I had to ask for a translation when it was first said to me. This week I've learned a lot of new English terms and phrases. I'll share some of them with you now. 'Naught' is zero. 'I can't be bothered' means 'I'm too lazy'. 'Biscuit' is cookie, but almost everyone knows that.

But the biggest new word I've learned this week is not even a word. Actually, its a letter. Did you know that instead of saying the letter z, they pronounce it 'zed'? I can promise you I'm not making this up. This is real. If you are just as shocked as I was when I found this out you will need a couple of days to accept it. I don't know about you, but I was under the impression that the alphabet is one of those steady, unchanging, reliable things. But apparently not. Even the alphabet can be changed. Lesson learned.

I'm very tired now, but I promise I will sit down tomorrow and write a longer blog post. Pinky swear.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha zed... rocking your world. i do think i might take a couple days to let it soak in haha

    ReplyDelete